Digital Curation: maintaining and adding value to a trusted body of digital information for future and current use; specifically, the active management and appraisal of data over the entire life cycle
Digital Preservation: the series of actions and interventions required to ensure continued and reliable access to authentic digital objects for as long as they are deemed to be of value
Data Curation Tools
(see Data Tools for a more general list of useful tools)
- Open Data Tools: Turning Data into ‘Actionable Intelligence’ (2013) – A comprehensive list of “More than 349 Subject Specific Open Data Tools.”
- Digital Curation Resources outside the DCC – Catalog of tools for data creators and digital curators.
- DCC (Digital Curation Centre) Tools – A suite of data management and curation tools created by the UK's Digital Curation Centre.
- Digital Curation Glossary – Glossary of data curation and data preservation terminology from the Digital Curation Centre (UK).
- OpenRefine – OpenRefine (ex-Google Refine) is a powerful tool for working with messy data, cleaning it, transforming it from one format into another, extending it with web services, and linking it to databases like Freebase.
- ORCID – An open community-based effort to create and maintain a registry of unique researcher identifiers and a transparent method of linking research activities and outputs to these identifiers.
Data Curation Publications
- Data Curation, SPEC Kit 354 (2017) – The Association of Research Libraries' SPEC Kit "explores the infrastructure that ARL member institutions are using for data curation, which data curation services are offered, who may use them, which disciplines demand services most, library staffing levels, policies and workflows, and the challenges of supporting these activities. It includes examples of data repository web pages, descriptions of services, infrastructure, workflows, metadata schemas, and policies, and job descriptions."
- 10 Simple Rules for the Care and Feeding of Scientific Data (2014) – Collaborative article offering a short guide to the steps scientists can take to ensure that their data and associated analyses continue to be of value and to be recognized.
- Data Curation Network: A Cross-Institutional Staffing Model for Curating Research Data (2017) -- a pilot plan for a network of data curation experts from nine institutions that will supplement local data curation expertise.
- Research Data Curation Bibliography: Version 2 (2019) – This selective bibliography includes over 750 English-language articles and technical reports that are useful in understanding the curation of digital research data in academic and other research institutions.
- Linking to Scientific Data: Identity Problems of Unruly and Poorly Bounded Digital Objects (2011) – Explores the need for establishing standards for identity construction for scientific datasets.
- 20 Years of Persistent Identifiers: Applications and Future Directions (2017) -- A collection of articles and resources on PID
- The role of a data librarian in academic and research libraries (2019) -- A study of the theoretical background of data librarianship.
Data & Intellectual Property Rights
Intellectual Property Rights and Research Data: Focus on Copyright – Guide by University of Cambridge
- Research Data Management and Intellectual Property – Guide by University of Oregon
Tools for Data Curation
last edited 9/25/2020